Law Day Essay Contest
The 2020 Toledo Bar Association Caty Armstrong Memorial Law Day Essay Contest
For Students in Grades 7 through 12
Write an essay on the topic:
LAW DAY 2020: Your Vote, Your Voice, Our Democracy: The 19th Amendment at 100
The Law Day 2020 theme is “Your Vote, Your Voice, Our Democracy: The 19th Amendment at 100.” The 19th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution -- ratified about 100 years ago -- guaranteed that the right of citizens to vote would not be infringed on account of sex. American women fought for and won the vote through their voice and action.
The women’s suffrage movement forever changed America, expanding representative democracy and inspiring other popular movements for constitutional change and reform. Yet, honest reflection on the suffrage movement reveals complexity and tensions over race and class that remain part of the ongoing story of the Nineteenth Amendment and its legacies..
How has the 19th Amendment changed the United States? What one additional change to our voting or elections laws would you recommend, if any? Why?
Each essay will be judged based upon format, clarity, style, reasoning, creativity and overall effort.
PLEASE SUBMIT YOUR ENTRY BY: 3:30 P.M. FRIDAY, MARCH 6, 2020, AT THE TOLEDO BAR ASSOCIATION. BY MAIL: 311 N. SUPERIOR, TOLEDO, OH 43604; FAX: 419-242-3614; OR EMAIL (see Rule 5): email@example.com
Entries in the Law Day Essay Contest will be grouped into three divisions.
DIVISION I: 11th & 12th Grades
DIVISION II: 9th & 10th Grades
DIVISION III: 7th & 8th Grades
Winning entrants and their parents and teachers will receive an invitation to attend the Toledo Bar Association’s Law Day Luncheon. First Place winners in each Division will have their essays published in The Blade.
CASH PRIZES FOR EACH DIVISION:
1st Place: $250.00
2nd Place: $175.00
3rd Place: $100.00
1. Each essay must be 500 words or fewer, typed, and double spaced, one sided or neatly handwritten. The title, citations, footnotes, and bibliography will be excluded from the 500 word limit. DO NOT STAPLE THE ESSAY; instead, please use a paper clip.
2. Each student may submit only one entry.
3. All entries are to be reviewed by the student’s teacher or parent (if home schooled).
4. Each entry MUST include a cover sheet indicating the student's name, home address, telephone number, the teacher's name, the school name, address and phone number and teacher’s email address if applicable.
Download the coversheet here.
5. Deadline for entries is Friday, March 8, 2019, at 3:30 p.m. Entries must be received via regular mail, fax or email at the Toledo Bar Association, 311 N. Superior Street, Toledo, Ohio 43604-1421; fax: 419-242-3614; firstname.lastname@example.org
on or before that date. If an entry is sent via email, information requested on cover sheet MUST be included. EMAILED SUBMISSIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED IN PDF OR WORD FORMAT.
6. The Toledo Bar Association will select the finalists in each division. Essays will be judged on format, clarity, style, reasoning, creativity and overall effort.
7. Submitted entries cannot be returned. The Toledo Bar Association retains the right to reproduce any essays submitted, in whole or in part.
For additional information, call Donna Williamson at the Toledo Bar Association at 419-242-9363.