Law Day Essay Contest
The 2018 Toledo Bar Association Caty Armstrong Memorial Law Day Essay Contest
For Students in Grades 7 through 12
Write an essay on the topic:
LAW DAY 2018: Separation of Powers: Framework for Freedom
Deadline: 3:30 PM on FRIDAY, MARCH 9, 2018
The U.S. Constitution sets out a system of government with distinct and independent branches—Congress, the Presidency, and a Supreme Court. It also defines legislative, executive, and judicial powers and outlines how they interact. These three separate branches share power, and each branch serves as a check on the power of the others.
What are the benefits of assigning different powers to different branches of our government? If you had the ability to rewrite the Constitution, what changes, if any, would you make regarding the system of checks and balances and why?
Each essay will be judged based upon format, clarity, style, reasoning, creativity and overall effort.
PLEASE SUBMIT YOUR ENTRY BY: 3:30 P.M. FRIDAY, MARCH 9, 2018, AT THE TOLEDO BAR ASSOCIATION. BY MAIL: 311 N. SUPERIOR, TOLEDO, OH 43604; FAX: 419-242-3614; OR EMAIL (see Rule 5): firstname.lastname@example.org
Entries in the Law Day Essay Contest will be grouped into three divisions.
DIVISION I: 11th & 12th Grades
DIVISION II: 9th & 10th Grades
DIVISION III: 7th & 8th Grades
Winning entrants and their parents and teachers will receive an invitation to attend the Toledo Bar Association’s Law Day Luncheon. First Place winners in each Division will have their essays published in the newspaper.
CASH PRIZES FOR EACH DIVISION:
1st Place: $250.00
2nd Place: $175.00
3rd Place: $100.00
1. Each essay must be 500 words or fewer, typed, and double spaced, one sided or neatly handwritten. The title, citations, footnotes, and bibliography will be excluded from the 500 word limit. DO NOT STAPLE THE ESSAY; instead, please use a paper clip.
2. Each student may submit only one entry.
3. All entries are to be reviewed by the student’s teacher or parent (if home schooled).
4. Each entry MUST include a cover sheet indicating the student's name, home address, telephone number, the teacher's name, the school name, address and phone number and teacher’s email address if applicable.
Download the coversheet here.
5. Deadline for entries is Friday, March 9, 2018, at 3:30 p.m. Entries must be received via regular mail, fax or email at the Toledo Bar Association, 311 N. Superior Street, Toledo, Ohio 43604-1421; fax: 419-242-3614; email@example.com
on or before that date. If an entry is sent via email, information requested on cover sheet MUST be included. EMAILED SUBMISSIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED IN PDF OR WORD FORMAT.
6. The Toledo Bar Association will select the finalists in each division. Essays will be judged on format, clarity, style, reasoning, creativity and overall effort.
7. Submitted entries cannot be returned. The Toledo Bar Association retains the right to reproduce any essays submitted, in whole or in part.
For additional information, call Donna Williamson at the Toledo Bar Association at 419-242-9363.