Law Day Essay Contest
The 2021 Toledo Bar Association Caty Armstrong Memorial Law Day Essay Contest
Introduction: The rule of law, which means that no one is above the law and everyone is treated equally under the law, is a principle that ensures an orderly and just society.
Question: Why is the rule of law so important to American democracy? How does the rule of law protect us? Please provide real-life examples from the United States or other countries.
Each essay will be judged based upon format, clarity, style, reasoning, creativity and overall effort.
Please submit your entry by 3:30 PM, Friday, March 5, 2021 to the Toledo Bar Association.
- 311 N. Superior St.
- Toledo, Ohio 43604
- Fax: 419-242-3614
- Email (see Rule 5): firstname.lastname@example.org
Entries in the Law Day Essay Contest will be grouped into three divisions.
DIVISION I: 11th & 12th Grades
DIVISION II: 9th & 10th Grades
DIVISION III: 7th & 8th Grades
First Place winners in each Division will have their essays published on the TBA Website.
CASH PRIZES FOR EACH DIVISION:
1st Place: $250.00
2nd Place: $175.00
3rd Place: $100.00
- Each essay must be 500 words or fewer, typed, and double spaced, one sided or neatly handwritten. The title, citations, footnotes, and bibliography will be excluded from the 500 word limit. DO NOT STAPLE THE ESSAY; instead, please use a paper clip.
- Each student may submit only one entry.
- All entries are to be reviewed by the student’s teacher or parent (if home schooled).
- Each entry MUST include a cover sheet indicating the student's name, home address, telephone number, the teacher's name, the school name, address and phone number and teacher’s email address if applicable. Download the coversheet here.
- Deadline for entries is Friday, March 5, 2021, at 3:30 p.m. Entries must be received via regular mail, fax or email at the Toledo Bar Association, 311 N. Superior Street, Toledo, Ohio 43604-1421; fax: 419-242-3614; email@example.com on or before that date. If an entry is sent via email, information requested on cover sheet MUST be included. EMAILED SUBMISSIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED IN PDF OR WORD FORMAT.
- The Toledo Bar Association will select the finalists in each division. Essays will be judged on format, clarity, style, reasoning, creativity and overall effort.
- Submitted entries cannot be returned. The Toledo Bar Association retains the right to reproduce any essays submitted, in whole or in part.
For additional information, call Donna Williamson at the Toledo Bar Association at 419-242-9363.